2816 E. Robinson Street | Orlando, Florida 32803
  • RSS Feed
  • Facebook
  • Linked In
  • Twitter
  • Google Plus
Call us today: 407-501-4163
Law Office of Maud Poudat, P.A.


Florida Board Certified in Immigration & Nationality Law. Dedicated & Professional Immigration Legal Services Solutions.

The U.S. immigration process is legal oriented and thus is best handled by an experienced immigration lawyer who can guide you through this cumbersome and sometimes unpredictable process. Certainly, finding an experienced immigration attorney who can provide you with competent, professional,…

Learn More ›

Immigration Blog Post

Green Card Opportunities for Siblings and Adult Children of Citizens

Many people know that spouses, parents and minor children of U.S. citizens are eligible to get a green card and become permanent residents. But it is less commonly known that other family members can qualify for green cards too. Eligible non-immediate relatives include siblings, unmarried children over the age of 21, and married children of any age.

These family members do not have the same preferred immigration status as immediate relatives. That means that only a limited number of visas are available to non-immediate family members every year. In many cases, adult children and siblings will have a lengthy wait before a visa becomes available.

Because the wait for a visa can be long, it is a good idea to start the application process as soon as possible. The process has two steps. In step one, the person who is a U.S. citizen files a petition on behalf of their relative. Once the petition is approved, the relative then must wait for a visa to become available. In step two, the relative files an application for adjustment of status to become a permanent resident. If the relative lives outside of the United States, the application will go through consular processing. This means that the U.S. State Department will oversee aspects of the application and issue the green card in the foreign country. The relative can then travel to the U.S. on the green card, officially becoming a permanent resident on arrival.

Applying for a green card for a sibling or adult child can be tedious because of the complexity of the application and the long wait. An experienced immigration lawyer can help you navigate the process.

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *


In order to help you more quickly, please fill out the quick form and submit.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Contact Form
Law Office of Maud Poudat, P.A.
2816 E. Robinson Street
Orlando, Florida, 32803 USA